Progress on mixture setting update

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Biff" <Biffjones@verizon.net>
Subject: Progress on mixture setting update
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:35:11 -0500
Ok guys. I got started on this a bit late again, had about an hour to play
with it before it started getting too dark to work.
I always seem to have a somewhat black exhaust. First LBC, maybe it's normal?
I can even go all the way back up the 12 flats and it still seems rich to me,
maybe I'm "reading" the engine wrong. There is a spot where the engine idles
the highest, from the base position of 12 flats down, I the highest idle is
about 4 flats to the lean (up). But even then if I look at the exhaust at idle
you can tell it's a bit black, to me this means it's rich, but maybe not? It
idles the smoothest 12 flats down, one I start leaning it, I get this sporadic
misfire type of noise out the tailpipe, hard to describe the noise, like a
muffled popping noise, not like a backfire, much softer type of noise, will
make the noise3 or 4 times, then runs smooth for maybe 5 or 10 seconds, then
do it a few more times, etc. Also seems to have the best power at 12 flats
down. I am wondering, is it normal to have a bit of black smoke if I give it a
few seconds of high rpms? It always seems to want to do this, even if I have
the carbs set really lean.
Dan