Re: '74 Midget questions

To: inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '74 Midget questions
From: RBHouston@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:43:15 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/2006 3:25:46 PM Mountain Standard Time,
inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com writes:

1. Under  my seats are these white plastic electrically wired discs (not
working)  that appear to be pressure sensitive triggered ---  WHAT are these?

Have yet to see them in any manual...

Seatbelt interlock, or something like that.  The  US government's idea of
safety, to tell you to put on your  seatbelt

2. Any suggestions as to how to steady a rattling/knocking  exhaust pipe ?
Knocks hard when hot behind the pedals and rattles durectly  under the
drivers seat.
Pep boys universal hanger, mounted at the rear of the  engine bay, seems like
there is a bolt around there, or just ahead of the rear  wheel arch, and make
sure the connection from the exhaust pipe to the manifold  is tight.  New
motor mounts may also help, as well as some creative bending  of the pipe where
it hits.

3. When ridden hot I can open the the vents in the floor boards  (cook my
ankles) stick my fingers in said vents and remove rusty black  sludge. The
hotter the wetter. This is creeping black death, isn't  it?

Close the vents, keep your fingers out of where you  can not see.

4.  Between the carbs and the crankcase, every so often I'l  get a lound
TANGING noise. Thought for the longest that it was a fan blade  just grazing
something every so often when vibrating wildly. No, such  luck. AND it seems
to be coming from the base of the carb bells / head  gasket area.

No earthly idea...piston slap?

O.K.  I could go on for some time with these but I'll cease pressing my luck
and  venture one more...

5. Just how much emissions gear (if no emssions  testing is required) can I
get by taking off. From the loos of things I  got a few things from other
models hooked up unnecessarily and my  emissions cant get much worse.
I live in NM where none is requied and everything has  been removed.  If you
take it off, save it somewhere, along with a diagram  of where it was.

Robert  Houston
Texan in NM

73 MG Midget
74.5 MGBGT
63  TR4

Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first  woman she
meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill  again...
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/23877.html#email)
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Unknown/) Marin  County newspaper's TV
listing for "The Wizard of
Oz"