Re: Alternator Wiring

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>,
Subject: Re: Alternator Wiring
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:26:19 -0500
David,
         A little clarification. The plug you refer to is attaching
to the rectifier assembly... or diodes. There are at least 2
varieties from Lucas. You've seen 2. If you peer in there, you'll see
3 plates. Some rectifiers had a big terminal going to each of 2
plates, with a small terminal at 1 plate (the closest to the center,
IIRC)  Others had 3 plates, but the 2 large terminals actually were
together at the middle plate.
         People who completely understand alternators (not me) will
know what the differences were. I know Lucas changed from battery
sensing to load sensing, or some-such. When we sold lots of these
components, there was a lot of head scratching over IDing which
terminal configuration of rectifier went with which regulator, as
Lucas started with a 5 wire regulator, and ended with a 2 wire, yet
they "all interchanged".
         Good fix on your part.
Peter C.
====