Re: Dwell angle

To: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dwell angle
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:32:38 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>

  Not only does the engine run on but my electric fan
continues to run for a few seconds after ignition is shut down.

Thanks everyone.

Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa

===============================

Phil, a long shot here, but I had the same problem with my MGB when I bought
it.

It turned out that the fan was wired into the ignition circuit by the DPO.
There had been an electrical fire and he must have thought that wiring the
fan to run constantly when the key was on was better than not running at
all.  The problem was that the residual spinning of the fan after turning
off the key kept enough juice in the circuit to keep energizing the ignition
relay.  That kept the motor running until the fan ran down to a stop.  The
fan stops: the motor stops.

When I installed the new wiring harnesses, I hooked the fan up correctly and
the problem ended then and there.  If your engine run-on and fan spinning
co-incide, check your wiring.  YMMV.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
72 Midget -- David and Biff's "Team SU" BABE Rally car (now retired)
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup -- presently swimming from New Zealand to the U.S. (3
weeks to go; yeah, I'm getting excited)

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."