DECREASING the oil pressure!! I won!

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: DECREASING the oil pressure!! I won!
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:36:14 -0700
Hi All,

Well, finally got the oil pressure "Under control" !!

But first, thanks to all who gave good solid suggestions on what I could do.
I'd already gone through a lot of them, but I do appreciate all who
responded.

This is how I did it.  I gave up on the idea of the plunger working with the
spring as I came to the conclusion that it was somehow blocking the passage of
oil to the dump hole.  So I used a 1/2" diameter ball bearing under the
spring.  First try with it yielded  just under 100 psi, which was still too
much, but a giant step in the right direction.  The plunger diameter is about
.608" so the oil got past the .500" ball nicely.

To get the pressure down more I had several .080" washers made by my machinist
to use as shims under the cap/plug.  2 of those brought it down to a cranking
pressure of 80 psi.  I used an additional thin copper washer like you get in
the gasket sets and that brought it down to about 75 psi.

Started up the engine, adjusted the timing a bit and ran it for it's 20
minutes or so to break in the cam.  When hot it ran at about 45 psi, so I'm
now a happy camper here.  Sounds good, runs OK, but the Weber DGV carb is now
off and getting all the rust chunks removed from it's innards!

Thanks again, all of you.  Just a great resource to put a stumper out to.
Worth a whole lot to me.  Even got suggestions from recipe geeks!!!

Best, Paul A