Re: WAS: Distributor NOW: racing

To: John.Deikis@va.gov, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WAS: Distributor NOW: racing
From: TMHEFFRON@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:11:19 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/2006 3:15:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
John.Deikis@va.gov writes:

Although  this may be of minimal interest to most on the list, I'd be
curious about  WST's comments on the politics behind this in  VSCDA.

This makes me wonder "will the Flounder take the bait"?

Here's my two cents...  Many of the engines we're running in  vintage are
'30's designs.  We all know the path to horsepower -  displacement,
compression,
breathing and rpm.  These old pieces of  junk blows up pretty easily when they
run really  high compression and are spun real fast.

If vintage racers prepped their engines to a reasonable state of tune (and
you gotta admit the Flounder does this) with mostly stock  parts (nitride
original crank, rockers, etc) and if they keep the rpm  to a reasonable limit
they
will get reasonable power and reasonable  longevity.  It wouldn't take $ 5,000
or more to build a competitive engine  (keeping in mind vintage racing is not
really a competition, unless it's for who  spends the most) and we could all
go reasonably fast and have fun with our  old cars at a reasonable cost.

But racers aren't generally known for being 'reasonable'.  So if  they spend
vast amounts of coin so they can spin an antique tractor engine  to 9K rpm,
they shouldn't be surprised when it blows up.   I  think it would be great if
our rules were to  (over a period of  time)  prescribe a state of preparation
that is fairly conservative.   When Racer Joe's hot cheater motor eventually
blows up he can replace it with a  motor prepared to the more conservative
rules
and philosophy.