DPOs, rear axle and brakes

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: DPOs, rear axle and brakes
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:09:19 -0700
Spridgeteers,

Working my way toward replacing the broken half shaft.  In trying to drop
the rear axle I find that I cannot remove the bolt from the rear end of left
spring because the head is on the outside and hits the brake backing plate,
is it appropriate to blame this on a DPO?.  On the right the head of the
bolt is on the inside and there is no interference.  Can I pull the brake
plate with out removing the hub?  The hub nut is on so tightly that I can't
get it off and I was hoping to take the assembly to my brother's and remove
it using his compressor and impact wrench.  Yes I am aware that the left hub
nut is left hand thread.

NOS hub w/ bearings seal, and wheel studs en route from eBay seller, so I
don't have to worry about the wheel bearings that slip in the old hub.

Thanks,

Hal