Close call for Pinky : )

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Close call for Pinky : )
From: "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:12:51 -0400
Spridgets,
I'm always trying to look on the bright side and now I have found the one
for buying the American Racing Libre wheels with the drilled out holes that
I don't like. After posting the message about the wheels on the Spridget
list serve one  of the guys (forgot his name) said do they fit your Sprite?
I went to jack up my car using my car jack from my Saturn SW2 and low and
behold my jack which is rarely used was solid rust and I'm the first owner.
Well that alone almost paid for the $250 wheels because I'm driving to the
Motor City in a week and a flat tire would be very annoying with a solid
rusty jack. So after soaking it in WD40 and slamming the nuts which held it
to the floor with a lead hammer I finally got her loose and sprayed some
more working it for about 1 hr. I now have a usable jack once again.

The best part was when I removed the passengers wheel on my 62 to check for
wheel fit and I see the break hose had rubbed onto the wheel wearing through
the outer layer of rubber break line. After carefully inspecting the area
and finding the tie rod ends blown gasket I carefully put Pinky back into
the garage till I get a chance to remove the lines later today. The cost of
the wheels may have saved my neck. I should have replaced the hose's the day
I got the car but put it off. The wheels paid for themselves with my &
Pinky's safety.

Question: how do I make sure the hose doesn't rub again when I install the
new ones besides turning fully as I adjust? Isn't there a bracket to hold
them away from the wheel. I thought I saw a bracket  on my Spitfire are
there any for the Sprite? And are the threads the same on most foreign &
domestic cars so I can try local venders?
Happy Motoring
Lin

PS I'm going to checkout the possibility of repairing the wheels.

62 California Sprite "Pinky"
http://www.freewebs.com/lgrunthaner/