Reduction of un-sprung weight on FROG AYE

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reduction of un-sprung weight on FROG AYE
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 06:51:02 -0700
Why do these projects always seem to expand without limit?
When last we visited FROG AYE I was replacing the broken half-shaft.  Well,
I'm still replacing the half-shaft, but now I've got the rear axle on the
bench top trying to clean it up.  My first thought was to have my machinist
hot tank the thing, but he tells me it's too big for him.  I must have
removed about 25 pounds of grease and road grime from the damn thing, that
alone should improve the handling, not to mention acceleration.  A guy I
work with who is studying automotive technology suggested using oven
cleaner.  It seems to work, but it's a dirty, messy job.  What do others use
to remove 45 years of road grime from the underside of their LBCs?  I might
take it to someone and have it steam cleaned to finish the job.

As long as I have it this far apart, I'm going to replace the hub with the
loose bearing with the NOS one I got on eBay and replace seals and wheel
studs on the other side and on the pinion.  Also the bushings on the spring
eyes will be new.  I am contemplating taking the springs to a spring shop
and having them rebuilt but haven't made up my mind on that yet.  Anyone out
there have any idea what it costs to reuild quarter elliptic springs?

The brakes were done just before my sister got  the car for me and so are
not in need of replacement yet.  They will get a good clean up 'though.

This should leave me in decent shape to attempt driving FROG AYE to the
Buster Cluster.  Hopefully I'll have everything back together by then. I
have not started to do the disk brake conversion yet, will wait 'till the
rear end is back on before I get more loose parts around the garage floor.

Hal