Re: Newbie

To: James Pickard <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:33:13 -0400
James Pickard wrote:

> I'm the new kid on the block,
> So here are my first questions.  1) How the h*ll do you get to the
> speedometer gear on the transmission?  2) What are the safest positions for
> jackstands to get the entire car off the ground so I can work under it?

Welcome to our crazy world Jim.

The speedo drive unscrews out of, or screws into the tranny.
It's a big plastic drive.
Best place for jack stands are under the leaf spring mounts where they
come out of the floor pan in the back and on the wide front frame cross
member in the front. But then it's hard to get the floor jack in there
so you can put the stands on the front frame rails just behind the wide
cross member.
Also any side jacking should be done at the jack hole plugs or anywhere
across the car along that box rail but only if it is decent shape.
If it's all rusty, the jack will go thru the floor. If that happens you
needed new floors anyway.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ