Re: clutch fluid DOT3 or DOT4

To: chuck <cciaffone@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: clutch fluid DOT3 or DOT4
From: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:14:28 -0400
At 05:42 PM 06/07/2006 -0400, chuck wrote:
>Dale Gleason wrote:
>>with the frequency that I have troubled the list with clutch bleed
>>questions my apologies butI gotta ask...
>>
>>I found this on a MG owners clutch hydraulic's web site....
>>" Remember- USE CASTROL LMA GTX or other DOT4 eq. or better brake fluid,
>>NOT DOT3 in your British car!  "
>Gotta say, years ago I read that I should be using DOT 4 in my 72 Midget.
>Have used it exclusively for the last ten or more years, and (knock
>on my wooden leg) have not had any seals go bad. I always use
>DOT 4, and prefer Castrol LMA to any other.
>
>chuck

I'm using DOT 5 and will never go back - but you do have to replace ALL the
seals to switch.  DOT 4 is better than DOT 3 but I do not believe it will
cure the 'sponge' problem.  You will need to rebuild the complete clutch
hydraulics system - A to Z(ed - its British). Check for weeping line
connections as you go.  Finally, 'over bleed' - fluid is cheap compared to
failure.

Regards,
Martyn

Frogeye 59  - Now with oil cooler! Thanks to those who replied to my
earlier question!