Removal of half shaft remains

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removal of half shaft remains
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:25:02 -0700
OK, now with the differential out of the casing the remains of the broken
half shaft are visible there just inside the differential bearing.  Can't
drive it out with a broom handle 'cuz the spider gears (or whatever the heck
they're called) are tied together with an axel that precludes doing this.
Also, I'm worried about scoring the inside of the differential bearing.  Is
this a job for the machine shop?  Or am I just being too much of a wimp?  A
piece of steel rod could possibly be used as a drift punch to drive the end
clear of the bearing?  It's pretty nasty, chewed up with all kinds of sharp
edges, and at the cost of replacing differential bearings, not to mention
the shimming necessary I'd rather not bugger the thing up.
I thing the shop is going to get the thing anyway to replace the pinion oil
seal, so it's only a minor concession on my part to let them do the other
part.  I mean, "why deprive a professional of his livelyhood?"
I'm not really a member of the BFH school of auto repair

Thanking everyone in advance,

Hal