Re: tech geek question, no LBC

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: tech geek question, no LBC
From: "charlie shelden" <shelden3@pldi.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:29:13 -0500 (CDT)
I utilize NS weekly as well as a commercial product called Airmagnet in
our company.  We have a large wifi network with 27 sites.  Anyway, what
you are more than likely seeing is reflections and or the characteristics
of your internal antenna on your laptop.  I imagine if you were to do a
360 you will see different readings as the antenna is oriented to the
signal source.  Are you seeing degradation in performance? Dropped packets
and that type of thing?  +/- 30 db is a pretty good swing for a stationary
receiver.  Could also indicate a problem at the signal source as well.  I
get the best scans from an external card usually.

Hope that helps.