RE: Beck Porschelica

To: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Subject: RE: Beck Porschelica
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:03:33 -0500
Bud,
         I think the shape, style and specifications of the Spyder,
real or replicated, are desirable. Much as I find those qualities
desirable in a Bugeye, a 65 Spridget, a leaf-sprung Land Rover, or
MGA coupe. The provenance isn't important to me. Some styles are
forever. If a 65 E-type replica were made, that wasn't priced in line
with a restored original, I would look. There are a number of cars
that get me excited. I'm not partial to year, marque or country.
Sadly, the majority of throwbacks are poor substitutes. The car, any
car, should make you smile when you walk up to it, get in it, and get
out after a drive. If it doesn't, dump it. If any pleasure is derived
from how much you paid for it, or how much others are envious of it,
shame on you.
         The contempt often originates from owners of originals who
feel emasculated rather than honored by the copy.
         Wrong words, perhaps, but hopefully you get the gist.

         Sorry, nearly ranted there. Saw some wretched excesses this
weekend. Bud, we've talked before.... I know you're not "one of them."

         Time for a soak in the 'tub?  :-)
Peter C.
====