Re: NO LBC - Request for US Army History

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: NO LBC - Request for US Army History
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:51:22 -0500
Tim,

Here are some interesting things I found that might help.

There is a good list of bibliographical resources at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Papua/USA-P-Papua-Biblio.html

Go to this site and enter your father's unit name and number to see
what you can get from the Army historians:

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/USAMHI/UnitHistories.html

Search around on this page for Unit Histories:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_history_unit_histories.php3

You should be able to find considerable historical information on you
dad's unit right down to a list of those who were in the unit and
during what periods. I've done this for my relatives in the Civil War
where records were not very well kept by comparison. Since WWI
military units have kept accurate and very detailed information so the
information you seek is certainly available somewhere.

Other sites to look at:
http://www.armyhistory.org/

Finally, contact the good folks at Carlisle for help. It's their job
to find stuff for you...
http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City