Re: traveling to ohio for a race car(and back)

To: "K. Valentine" <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Subject: Re: traveling to ohio for a race car(and back)
From: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 07:50:18 -0500
On Aug 6, 2006, at 12:48 AM, Charles Christ wrote:

> > the internet is a huge thing.  but what are the chances of total
> > strangers meeting at an interstate rest stop and knowing the exact
> > same people and never haveing met?

Chuck,

This is a slightly long story, with no serious LBC content, but
appropriate for the subject.
Back in 79, I was a senior in high school. One of those private ones,
but since I wasn't rich, I really didn't fit in with many of the other
students. I think this backs up Buster's theory of the "cheap little
bastard car". I'm a cheap little bastard owner, hell, that sounds
better than the "we tight" club. I wouldn't want to be caught in San
Fran wearing a shirt that says that, you can bet yer..................
well, you know.
Anyway, I digress. That year, I made friends with a stoner transfer
student out of Florida, by the name of Tim Glass (let's see how small
this world really is), but we'll get back to him later.
My father was selling insurance at that time, for a company called
Mutual of Omaha. He was one of the top salesmen in the region, and won
a trip to Disneyworld in Orlando. Somewhere, there is a photo of me
shaking hands with Marlin Perkins. Anyone remember him, he must have
been a bastard of a man. I mean, what kind of guy stands there going
"While my assistant Bob is trying to circumcise that water buffalo,
I'd like to talk to you about the wonderful insurance coverage you can
get from Mutual of Omaha". I bet if Marlin died under "questionable"
circumstances, Bob did it.
Anyway, back to Tim. I tell him I am going to visit his home state,
and he gets all excited for me. Telling me he was from Lakeland (a
suburb of Orlando) and that I gotta try and hook up with one if his
old girlfriends while I am there. I get her number, and take it with
me.
We get to Orlando, hangin out at Disney for a week. Let me tell you
one thing about Disney, they only sell Coke. I am a true Texan, I only
drink Dr. Pepper. Hell, we are the only state that STILL makes D.P.
with the original recipe, isn't that right Jay? So, after a week with
no soda, I'm starting to crave a D.P. BADLY. I get informed halfway
through the week that an old school friend of my mothers lives nearby,
and we are going to church with them that weekend. A plan is hatched.
We get up that morning, head on out of the Magic Kingdom, and off to
church. The daughter gets saddled with the task of taking me with her.
We go, and not long into the service, I mention to her my craving for
a real soda. No to surprisingly enough, she also is willing to leave.
We walk down to the corner store, get some drinks, and head back to
her home so that she can change.
While she is in the other room changing, I remember the phone #. I ask
to use the phone, and soon I am dialing. The phone had some sort of
malfunction, and even after dialing the number several times, I never
got more than a few clicks and buzzes out of it. As she is walking
into the room, I ask her "what is wrong with your phone?" She asks if
I am dialing a long distance number. Hell, I don't live here, how am I
supposed to know. She says, let me see the number. I hand it to her,
and her eyes get real wide. She stares at me and asks "where did you
get my phone number?" I tell her about my friend Tim. "YOU KNOW
TIMMY?" she hollers. It seems that Tim had a crush on her older
sister, who was married........
Anyway, we ended up going out and rolling a custom cigarette together
later, making the D.P. a lot more insignificant.
Now, THAT is weird stuff.
--
www.myspace.com/tequilabrad