Re: SU carb rebuild with Pictures

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU carb rebuild with Pictures
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:31:24 -0500
>>   I have capped off the fuel return
>> line ports with a rubber plug, will that cause a problem?
>
> Uncap them. If the floats should leak, the eccess gas has to go
> somewhere. Early SUs just had them drip onto the exhaust manifold.
> I never heard of a fire due to this but if you do have a leak, you can
> see/smell it and tend to it ASAP.

Even more important, if you cap those suckers, you have
sealed your float bowls and it will be hard to get fuel into them.
Those are the vents, not fuel returns. The idea was that the
emissions system would glom onto the vapors and keep them
out of the atmosphere. A "closed" vent system. The bowls still
need to be vented.

Also, as Cap'n Bob implied, you might as well go back to the stock
needles. They will be closer to right for your car.
David Lieb
1972 RWA