RE: Broken Axle Shafts

To: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Subject: RE: Broken Axle Shafts
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
Derf,
     I've only ever seen it break right at the end of the splines (weak
point) leaving you to pull the pumpkin and poke the little stub out
with a broom handle.  The only way to know if your axle is about to
break is to pull them out and see if the splines are starting to take
on a twist.  Otherwise it just breaks without warning.  Last one I
broke was in 1972 when I popped the clutch at a stop sign to race
another Bugeye.  A big bang and you go nowhere.  There really wasn't
anyone else with such an anemic car (tired 948) to race even back
then.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2