Re: opinions on break-in

To: Guy R Day <grday@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: opinions on break-in
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:40:14 -0400
Guy R Day wrote:

> And how long do they expect it to last?

My current engine was rebuilt and broke in on the garage floor for 20
minutes back in 1997.
I drive all over the place and most places are 3 hours from home on
average and I drive it at 80 mph when it's on the interstate.
No smoke, no knocks, no problems due to the rebuild or break in.
When I rebuilt my Spitfire engine back in 1974, I babied it as I did
when I bought the car new. So why was I rebuilding the new car's engine
at 11,000 miles? Why did my rebuild last 6 months?
That's when an old timer told me about driving as you normally would
from day one. I have been doing that ever since.
The engine in PIECES was rebuilt in 1983, it was in 3 or 4 Sprites and
it still ran fine the day I sold it.
I'll do what I know works for me. I'll let others take their chances to
see what works for them.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ