RE: Non-Spridget: Ferrari

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Non-Spridget: Ferrari
From: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:40:19 -0700
Spridgeteers,

I have been away for a while... quite a while... and this is not Spridget
related... so forgive me! I am seeking help especially from UK or Northern
Ireland based Spridgeteers.

One of my few remaining French relatives is buying a car from Northern
Ireland. He is a retiree, not a rich man, and I am worried... Besides the
fact I am not sure he comprehends how expensive it is to maintain a Ferrari
of any age, there are several things he said that make me think he might be
in for a rude surprise.  The car is a F355 Spyder, which normally sells for
around 60,000 Euros, but this one is offered at 20,000 Euros, and presented
as in very good condition with only 42,000 kilometers on the clock (car was
first sold on the continent). Why the low price? First warning bells.  Then,
the guy selling the car told my relative he could not register the car in
Northern Ireland as it is left hand drive and does not fit the required
norms for registration, whatever that may mean. I take it as the European
equipment (lights, emission control, etc) is not OK for Northern Ireland or
UK, and that may be true... but I had several left hand drive cars
registered in the UK, no problem.

All I could advise my relative is to take a plane and see the car for
himslef, and also to make sure the owner can get the V5 for the car - How
can he make sure the chap is even the owner if the car is not registered?
Would the V5 show if the car has previously been written off, just like a
"salvage title" in CA? Would it be some kind of assurance the car is not
stolen?

I really need your advice on that one, chaps. I don't want that old friend
of the family to be taken for a ride.

Jacques Le Clainche in San Diego
Down to my last LBC (Lotus Seven)and only three cars, but thinking of buying
another (street) Spridget soon!