'79 clutch problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: '79 clutch problem
From: "David C." <dlancer7676@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:53:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hey Guys!

I have been off the list for a while catching my breath.  Just signed back on
this morning.

I completed my transmission overhaul and replaced the engine and tranny back
into the '79 Midget.   In the process I also replaced the flex-tube that
connects the slave master with the slave unit on the clutch.   Only problem now
is that the clutch engages with only a fraction of an inch release off the
clutch, and the gears don't seem to shift as smoothly as I would expect.

Could this be a symptom of still having air in the clutch lines?  I bled it out
with a mity vac, but I have never trusted the mity vac to remove all the air.
I have used it on brakes and was very dissatisfied.  I think pushing the fluid
through the system is far superior to sucking it out.   So. . .do you think I
still have air in the system?

Think I will try bleeding it out the old-fashioned way (wife pumping on clutch)
this morning to see whether it improves the clutch pedal travel and the
shifting.

--David C.

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet