Re: Bulbs

To: <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bulbs
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:11:06 -0500
<snip>The green turn signal lens is actually made from a green plastic.  One
of
the original magazine write-ups for the Bugeye mentioned the green turn
signal as being bright enough to almost blind you at night when you are
making a turn.  I find <unsnip>
This is something else which I can finally verify after lots of research, etc
on reassembling my basketcase Mk2. This problem actually was corrected with
the Mk2. It was weird piecing it together. Had some new switches to use, and
some old ones still collecting dust. While assembling the car, I found I was
"one terminal short" at the headlight switch. I should have had a place for a
wire coming from the flasher, then one to the indicator. I wondered why they
need the wire to make a "stop" at the headlight switch, it's for the TURN
signal indicator fer Petes sake. Grabbed the old and apparently original
headlight switch (broken toggle) and found the correct amount of terminals,
and took it apart to try to make sense of it. Between these terminals, believe
it or not, is a PRINTED CIRCUIT with a zig-zag pattern that produced about 40
ohms of resistance. Took apart the NEW switch, put the new toggle on the old
switch, and sure enough, the whole purpose is to dim the indicator with the
parking lights or headlights are on! I also read the old review that
complained of the too-bright turn signal indicator at night, so possibly this
is a response to that. Really makes a big difference in the brightness.
Dan