Re: Pertronix Distributor

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>,
Subject: Re: Pertronix Distributor
From: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:17:21 +0200
Hi David,

could you please explain why the 123Mini line dizzys (I guess you mean
123ignition) doesn't work with manifold vacuum? I see no reason why it
wouldn't.

Best regards

Eric
www.brits-n-pieces.com

I find it a little difficult to believe that one advance curve is going to
cover all MGA, MGB, and A-Series models. Even Lucas didn't try to make that
fly. Still, it is a reasonably affordable distributor that looks nice and
will probably work fairly well. Bear in mind that it, like the 123Mini line
of distributors, will NOT work on manifold vacuum for the advance; it
expects ported vacuum (a much better signal, but hard to implement if you do
not have it). If your carb(s) do not have a port for vacuum, you will have
no way of having vacuum advance. No big deal for the race types (who won't
be likely to care much for the mechanical advance curve, either), but it
will hurt the mpg and part-throttle operation on the street cars
significantly. If you are planning (or already have) a hot cam, and all
those other go-fast goodies for those of us not required to kiss up, this
might not be the best alternative, although it will doubtless be better than
a worn-out 25D.
David Lieb

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]