Zenith Carb

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Zenith Carb
From: BCAH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:33:32 EDT
OK all, I've got a quick question on Zenith carbs.  A friend just  bought an
MGB but it has this strange carb on it! I know this is the Spridget  list but
I as wondering if  anyone could shed some light on this running  problem. I
figure  there might be an "A" series with this same set  up.  On  the side of
the single carb is the "choke" or enrichment  assembly with a water hose
running
through it which heats up a bi-metalic coil  which,in turn, slides a pin
through an arc of about 40 degrees.I can not see  that it actually stops any
air
flow so it must richen up the mixture.  So-------engine runs poorly when
cold,---hesitates when full throttle is  applied and never really runs all that
great when hot. It was 75  degrees  today and this pin was all the way against
the stop. Is that the rich position?  Carb also has a  wire which the PO says
is
a pre heat deal.This carb   can not be all that bad , can it?  Any thoughts?
This is on a 1980  model. I am trying to fix something simple. Any Zenith
folks out there?  TIA,---Bob C