Midget brake caliper leak

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Midget brake caliper leak
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:10:04 -0500
I have been doing a good bit of refurb on the suspension and brakes on my 74
Midget.

After replacing the master cyliner cap,  all the drum shoes in the rear and
the disc brakes in the front, I know that hose and cylinder replacments are
in the near future.

So I have everything back together and I have noticed a slow (usually
overnight) drip from the front drivers side wheel. The brake fluid that is
coming out I originally suspected was from a split hose....

But then I recalled how the fluid all freely drizzled out when disassembling
the calipers recently. The hole in the inner walls of the caliper shoes that
transferred (?) the fluid pressure was getting access to leak.

So after sittin on the thinking bucket it dawned on me that I didn't bolt
(4) the calipers back together tight enough and a gap was allowing the leak.

Well, I like that idea but....
One, after a second disassembly I found that the little rubber ring /washer
that makes the transfer of fluid sealed - had a little tear in it. Just big
enough to likely lose fluid and pressure. (gasp)
This little rubber ring likely was already torn but so filled with mung the
seal was making due or more than likely I tore it whilst working on the
suspension.

CAN THESE LITTLE RUBBER WASHERS/RINGS BE REPLACED ? HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED
THAT? HARDWARE STORE RUBBER WASHERS ? Dunno, but the idea of switching out
the whole caliper, sheeesh... But so it goes.

Plus, when I screwed all of the works back together and bled the system -
this morning I had the tell-a-tale small pool of even-fresher brake fluid.

Not trying to take the easy way out but just curious.
I have not seen the little rubber rings in any of the catalogs.

Miles