Re: Spridget painting help

To: KrkLH@cs.com, thcollin@mtu.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spridget painting help
From: KrkLH@cs.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:12:08 EDT
I was at the body shop where Tim works this morning.  I saw a 64 Mustang that
had been filled with some body filler  sanded and ready to paing - had mostly
bare metal.

I asked him if they were going to shoot the car with Feather Fill only.  He
said that they were going to first shoot it with acid primer.  I asked if the
body filler might bleed out under the acid primer and he said, that the acid
primer has a film in it that will keep the filler under control, no bleed
through.  So I don't know where I got that info ie. that you might get bleed
out of
body filler under acid primer.  I know that I have heard that, but I might
have heard that under a different context.

When I asked why he was not just using Feather Fill over the metal and the
filled areas he said that in order to uphold PPG's warranty he needed to use
acid primer first.   If it was a job that he was doing on the side he would
just
use Feather Fill over the metal and the bondo.

In my case - if I was shooting the aforementioned dash I would use acid
primer first as there would be no filler in it (going by my pre-supposition
that
you can have bleed through). In other words, according to my suppostion, since
would have no filler, I would feel safer shooting the acid primer first and
then shooting the Feather Fill afterwards.

On my Bugeye I will use Feather Fill over bare metal areas as well as sanded
off areas of body filler.

Ok -

Sorry for the confusion, but this is why I am not the one to write
instructions for this stuff!!!!

Kirk