Re: Guestimates on HP increase with upgrades

To: <KrkLH@cs.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Guestimates on HP increase with upgrades
From: "David Riker" <davriker@digitalpath.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 07:23:35 -0800
Performance items tend to work best as "packages", that is, with the
intertwined effect on the engine.  All the items on your list increase the
rpm capability of the engine, but possibly at the effect of a loss of
performance at lower rpms..., so your seat-o-the-pants dynometer might feel
like you lost hp, but the engine could breath to higher rpm, the spark would
remain strong to higher rpm, thus the hp, which is just a math problem,
increases, but is above the range where the mechanical parts of the engine
want to grenade.

Those parts, combined with a cylinder head that can breath, an agressive
cam, valve springs that won't float, balanced rotating assembly with arp
hardware turning 7500 rpm might be good for over 100 hp.  Bolted to an
otherwise stock longblock however, and I think you will have little net
increase, possibly a decrease.

just my .02
David Riker
davriker@digitalpath.net