RE: How were Spridgets sold.....

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How were Spridgets sold.....
From: Chris M West <chris_west@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:41:05 -0500
Peter C Wrote:

I started selling import parts in Morristown NJ in 72. We were
Beck/Arnley, Vera, Columbia distributors, who were the "aftermarket"
back then. (The only other aftermarket company was BAP or GEON, which
became BAP/GEON) We also were distributors for the OEMs, namely
Lucas, Bosch, Smiths, etc.

Got my start at a BAP?GEON distributor here in MI in '72.  Also had Vera,
Columbia, Lucas and Bosch.  I'm now in the "domestic" aftermarket but am
the "go to" guy for imports after 20 years on that side.

We sold to the new car dealers. Here was my delivery and sales route.
In Morristown, the dealer sold MG, Triumph, Jag, Alfa, Fiat, and I
recall new Jensens on the floor! In Denville/Dover was a dealer who
sold MG, Triumph, Datsun  (boy, did the new Z car look good amongst
the Bs and Spitties.)  Further down Rt 10 East was a Triumph dealer.
Only. Then down Bloomfield avenue past the best cheese cake emporium,
the Montclair Diner, to a Jaguar, MG, Triumph dealer, out to the
Garden State to Rte 22 back toward Westfield to a BMC dealer, no
Jags, just MG and Triumph, to Piscataway where I'd stop at Armstrong
Hydraulics to pick up loads of shocks, some of which would go to the
Land Rover dealer in Gladstone. About 150 miles a day in a 68 VW Bus
without seats.

This brings back memories as I grew up in North Jersey.....the dealer on
Rte 22 in Springfield (Springfield Motors?) was Triumph (had a Spitty &
later a GT6+ back then) and Datsun dealer.  I remember looking at a new
SRL311 (2000) roadster back then but too rich for my college student
blood, as well as a used TR3 with a Halda Tripmaster (remember those?).
Bought the GT6+ from the dealer in Westfield who was also a Lincoln /
Mercury dealer.   Was the Montclair Diner at the top of a long hill?  If
so they had the BEST butter pecan ice cream too.

I have to say.... it was FUN, back then.

There was a lot more camaraderie then as imports were rarer and most
owners did their own work out of necessity.  You didn't have to think
twice about stopping to help someone with a LBC broke down on the side of
the road.  On the parts side the customer base was so small (in relative
terms) you knew everyone who walked into your store and they usually
stopped to chat even if they were not buying.  How many people go to an
AutoZone or Advanced just to say hello to the help?
The closest I come to that these days is here on the lists where people
seem to take a genuine interest in their fellow listers and will go out
of their way (as in Bustercluster, SOS, and OSHIT) to help a fellow LBC
owner.

Chris

AN5L35578