Re: '68 Lotus Elan

To: Spridgets Mail list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '68 Lotus Elan
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:34:57 -0500 (EST)
If the frame is original and hasn't been upgraded, there are areas of potential
rot which require pulling the body from the frame. At that point you need to
consider upgrading the frame per the generally accepted modsifications or
replacing the frame which is a backbone frame with front and rear wings to
which the suspension is mounted. (This is the frame design that is the direct
predecessor to the monocoque Lotus F1 car. They spread the central backbone
enough to fit the driver in between.)

The fiberglass might need a total resto. Plan on an expensive engine rebuild
unless it has already been done AND IS DOCUMENTED AND CAN BE VERIFIED. AND IS
DOCUMENTED AND CAN BE VERIFIED.

If you get into doing something with engine they are expensive and there are
many avenues for various levels of performance.

Basically they are one of the most interesting and best handling sports cars.

In my view, one of the most significant points to make about the Elan beyond
the voluminous testimonials is this: Gordon Murray drives a Lotus Elan.

If you don't know Gordon Murray; it is academic. You aren't into world-class
high-performance sports cars and performance vehicles.

One of Gordon's (one of) spectacular creations is included on my website.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct