Oil

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil
From: "Engfehr, John \(J.D.\)" <jengfehr@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 13:57:11 -0500
A friend forwarded an email with a link re modern oils and their
formulation.
The link to the article is http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm
Very interesting read especially for our engines and transmissions.

I'm on digest so I'll just jump in once with some comments. I test oil
and engine wear characteristics for a living. The article is very
factual. Diesel oil currently has about twice as much ZDDP as pass car
oil. A good oil additive will basically kick up the additive level.
Another thing to pay attention to is what's known as the EP (extreme
pressure) additive which helps separate heavily loaded parts. Once the
EP additive is activated (heat) by starting the engine, it will remain
effective for about one year, even if you never start the engine again.
Change your oil once a year regardless of the miles you drive, to keep
enough engine protection. The exception to this is if you add a quart of
oil now and then. This will take care of the EP (and other) additives.
New oils have a much improved base stock which adds good protection for
modern engines, but the reduced additive package could be a concern in
these older engines.

John Engfehr
1275 Bugeye