The "Luck of Larry"

To: "'spridgets net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: The "Luck of Larry"
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:16:00 -0600
So, sports fans

Those of you that have been paying attention have been following the saga of
sheet metal parts for Larrys Bugeye that he ordered from the UK.  Shipping
time, door to door, was sposed to be 5-6 days.

Well, that turned into about 30 days, with all sorts of knashing of teeth,
weeping and wailing, Customs inspections, shakedowns for extra dough, etc.

Well, finally, they announced it was ready for delivery. Since Larry had
Achillies tendon surgery Tues., and is down for the count for a while, he
had it delivered here. I had the Floundervision camera up and running, with
a small group in the online conference room, testing audio and video, as I
heard the truck pull up. I pause the conference for a moment, and go outside
to meet the truck.

Theres a woman driving this truck, and shes backing up the driveway. She
keeps going and going, despite me whistling, shouting, and waving at her,
backing all the way up to the garage. When she stops, I inform her that the
stuff is going in the shop rather than the garage. She pulls forward. I get
the box off the truck, sign for it, carry it in, and the truck leaves.

Inside the shop, I discover the internet connection is gone. I fool around a
little, checking routers, cables, confirm its down on both computers. Yep.
So, I head out of the shop to the house, where Im expecting to need to
restart my radio (Im in the country, and am on a 12 mile wi-fi radio
network).

I look in the driveway, and theres the phone and Ethernet wires to the shop
lying on the ground. The damn truck had knocked them down. The splayed
cables look like Larrys Achillies tendon. Arrgghh.

Its about 175 run from the house to the shop. This could not have happened
at a worse time. Luckily, the weather was very nice yesterday sunny, above
50, albeit a little windy. The wires come out of the second floor of the
house, and run just 1 under the power lines on a run to a utility pole by
the milk house. From there, they disperse to the shop, milk house, and
garage. This isnt an easy job. Its high enough that to reach it, I have to
use my > ton pickup truck, with a 16 step ladder in the bed, and stand near
the top to reach it all, while negotiating the movement of the trucks
suspension, the wind, and trying to avoid the power lines 1 away. Its a
dicey proposition. So, just like Larrys surgeon, I have to insert a new
screw in to the pole, and splice together all the Ethernet and phone wires
and anchor it all in place.. Luckily, it goes together without any further
trauma, death, dismemberment, or electrocution. Were up and running.

Well have the Floundervision camera up later today when Mike Gigante shows
up for Thanksgiving dinner. Log in and say hey.

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com

www.thicko.com <http://www.thicko.com/>

image001.jpg]