Re: Speaking about environmental issues

To: Charley Braum <cbaustin@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking about environmental issues
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:04:19 -0800
Charley Braum wrote:  "The interesting thing about 'European
Environmentalism' is that they still don't want to include Eastern
Europe in the total mix. The mess that they made there after WWII into
the 80's will be around a long time."

What I have found surprising (and at the same time disturbing) is that
in some areas, the environmental laws of the European Union are far more
strict than those in the U.S.  It is my understanding (from my friend
the Lotus test engineer) that European car emissions standards are more
strict than even those in California.  It is claimed that even our
equipment to test emissions is antiquated by European standards.

In other areas of environmental law, the Europeans have established
standards for political and economic reasons, creating them in a way
that other nations cannot compete, and even cases where they favor one
EU country over another.  As the formerly Communist nations begin to
join the EU, they must adhere to EU regulations, as well as beginning to
clean up a few generations worth of environmental garbage.

What is most distrubing is that the environmental laws have been created
by Brussels bureaucrats, not by elected leaders, thereby entrusting too
much power into the hands of a cadre of professional bureaucrats not
responsive to the public will.  Dangerous business that.

Buster