Re: Speaking about Mexican built products......... Beetles &

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Subject: Re: Speaking about Mexican built products......... Beetles &
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:30:20 -0600
On 12/18/06, Frenken, Eric <efrenken@lctax.de> wrote:
> WHAT? Did I get this one right? The US is the only country protecting the
> environment? BZ, I just see, you sent this on Friday, so I suppose this is a
> Friday joke? Please, don't tell me this is not a joke!
>
> I read an article about a year or two ago that said, that the average US
> citizen requires energy equivalent to 7,000 litres oil per year, the European
> citizen about 2,500 litres and some people in Africa 6(!) litres. Don't quote
> me on the numbers, they might be incorrect, but the relationship between them
> is what I can remember and what counts.

Would you care to share your source?  There are plenty of articles out
there which a filled with personal agendas, inaccuracies and downright
falsehoods. Be careful what you read.

Did the article also explain how much farther people in the use have
to travel via automobile than people in Europe?  The distances
involved are why people in the US use more fuel. When you consider
that vs. overall atmospheric polution from burning fossil fuels, you
come  up with lower polution numbers per capita and per mile than for
Europe. These figures are readily available from the World
Meteorological Organization. Most writers and politicians don't want
to look there because they aren't interested in the truth.

> You might not know that it is still standard in Europe not having air
> condition at home or in working places. Cars for everyone, which can do better
> than 60 mpg have jumped from the drawing table onto the street years ago.

You might not know that your climate is considerably more moderate
than ours so that you don't have any need for those conveniences. If
you had to live here, you'd have air conditioning everywhere too.

We've seen your 60 mpg cars over here. Their worn out hulks litter our
junk yards.  They aren't made to stand up to the 20 and 30 thousand
miles a year most American families require. Nor can they haul 4 kids
and a months worth of groceries the width of England in an afternoon.

Distances are MUCH greater over here.  I lived in England for 6 years
- I do have a frame of reference. Out here in the US Western High
Plains where I live it is 50 miles between towns with literally
nothing between them. If I need a place to get powder coat done, for
instance, I have a 300 mile round trip to and from. Hence I use
considerably more fuel than the typical European.

Oh...  And the figures show that thanks to the efforts of the US,
German, Japanese, and Korean auto engineers, I actually produce less
polution per gallon than does the typical European....

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City