Re: back to thrust washers

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: back to thrust washers
From: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:59:40 -0500
I am going to replace the main bearing (oil pressure goes down to 10 psi when
hot, idling) and leave the thrust washers well alone.   The big end bearings
where repaced a couple of years ago.

What do you think.

I think that if you are going to be in there anyway, replace ALL of the
bearings! Your oil pressure problem may well be a combination of both rod and
main bearing tolerances... If the crank is the least bit egg shaped on any of
the journals the pressure suffers. On a 1500 though, the most important thing
is the thrust washers. Your rod and mains can be great but you can still
destroy the crank and block with bad thrust washers. An in-car assessment of
the end float can't be as accurate as one done with the engine out and properly
jigged for measuring.

My two cents...
Kent
1960 Bugeye