RE: Reinstalling Distributor

To: "'James Gruber'" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, "'Spridgets Digest'"
Subject: RE: Reinstalling Distributor
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:47:01 -0500
Did you also replace the rotor.  I have had several bad ones.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa

Subject: Reinstalling Distributor

I took Bugsy's Distributor out today to change points. Only to discover that
the POS Lucas points I bought many years ago didn't sit on the contact end
properly and the rubbing block was only rubbing on a small corner of the
contact patch. A little work with my vise straightened things out but now
points won't open and close. Back to the drawing board file down old point
set and reinstall gapped at .016. Reinstall in car, button it all up, turn
key and crank, crank, crank. Nothing. Take all back apart to discover that
new POS Condenser is shorted out. OK replace old condenser, check
distributor with Ohm Meter, points are ideed opening and closing properly
and opening and closing the circuit.I'm convinced all is ok there, Reinstall
in the car and once again no fire from the engine. Can the distributor be
installed 180 degrees out? I tried the 180 degrees out thing and could not
get things to line up properly. Looking at the bottom of the distributor it
looks to me that the  keyway on the bottom only goes in one way. It appears
to be offset just a hair so it cannot go in backwards.

  OK team what's the verdict, what am I doing wrong here.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise) Cincinnati, OH Tired of spam?
Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around