Re: I learned sumptin'...

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I learned sumptin'...
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:34:05 -0500
>OK Peter,

If the magnetic field around a wire is equal to the permeability of free
space times the current all divided by 2 time Pi times the radius of the
wire, how does changing to resistor wire increase the magnetic field so as
to get better inductance?

Answer that and THEN we'll be learnin'      LOL.

I would like to hear an explanation from a physicist on this subject. When
a wire carries a current there is a magnetic field around it. The inductor
clamp on the timing light picks up that field. So, . . . does this mean the
current carried by racing wires is small? To small to produce a "big
enough" magnetic field? That doesn't make sense.

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite