Re: Bugsy running like a champ/Mechanical Advance Distributor.

To: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Subject: Re: Bugsy running like a champ/Mechanical Advance Distributor.
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:17:26 -0600
> So, I've got a single HIF44 on my 1275 with a 266 cam and ported head.  I
> am using a Mallory dual point distributor.  If what you are saying is
> true, I am wasting gas except at WOT.  The brand new S.U. HIF44 I bought
> from APT has a nipple for port vacuum for timing.    I have a Lucas
> distributor 41400A that Frank gave me.  I have been told it is for
> manifold vacuum, not port vacuum.  What are my options for distributors?
> Mike MacLean
> 60 Sprite

Your options are whatever distributor you want.  Lucas, Mallory,
Nippon(Isuzu), Hitachi(Nissan), 123, FlameThrower, or whatever you desire
can be made to work.  I've had Lucas, Hitachi, and Nippon on my 1275.
Hitachi works fine but there is very little clearance between the body and
the dizzy cap.  I am currently running the Nippon.

I am running a single HIF6 on my 1275.  I use a spacer (phenolic? maybe) and
have it tapped for vacuum for the dizzy and/or PCV.  I think APT sells the
spacers.  Something like this with the proper vacuum advance dizzy would
probably be best for you, too.  But, I don't think it would be much better
than the Mallory.  You might gain a little in economy but why sacrifice the
reliability of the Mallory for the Lucas?

If you do switch please let us know what difference it really makes.
Cheers,
Derf