Question on timing a 1275

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Midget Sprite Group"
Subject: Question on timing a 1275
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:42:43 -0600
It appears that my 1275 timing may have slipped. Yesterday I got the
beast out for a run in the 50 degree weather we had. I discovered that
even when warm to operating temperature (160F registered on the gauge)
it would backfire and lacked power on axxeleration similar to a car
whose timing was still retarded. I haven't lifted the dizzy cap yet to
look at the points. Nor have I checked to see if the dizzy is loose
and turning. I also haven't examined the vacum line to the HIF44 on
this car.

I will go through all the above items tomorrow when it is supposed to
be warm again, but was wondering about how one adjusts the timing
(turns the dizzy) while laying underneath the damned thing where you
can see the timing marks!!  One thing I'm gonna do for sure and very
soon is to mark off another set of timing marks somewhere up high
where I can see them!!
What sick and twisted Brit engineer came up with the idea of placing
the timing marks underneath the front of the engine and behind the
frame cross member??

Oh...   While I'm at it, can anyone tell me how to decode the ID tag
on the drivers side A post??  Mine is GUN 000719P but I have no idea
what it is telling me about the car's body.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City