Re: floor pan patch

To: STANLEY YU <keikoroo@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: floor pan patch
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:55:20 -0500
I use 20ga because it's easier to fabricate, but some new panels I have
had, including Spridget floor pans, I think, measure closer to 18ga.  I
have taken metal working classes sponsored by a restoration shop near
here (english wheel, planishing hammers, hand tools and the like) and
the instructer had us working in 18ga.  It's also what the shop stocks
for most of their body fabrication work, mostly 1950's to 1970's
American cars.  Part of the reason is as you manipulate and stretch it,
the metal thins, so you almost never thin it to less than 20ga.