RE: first car wishes (returning to LBC)

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: first car wishes (returning to LBC)
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:28:24 -0500
First car: '59 Porsche 356A coupe (2nd & 3rd were also 356s)
Sixth car: Brand new, '71 BMW 2002 (in 18 months & 30,000 miles I wore
out 3 sets of Michelin XASs....WHAHOOO!!!).  Traded that in on a new
2002 Tii. Fell asleep, late one night......
Wanted to use insurance money to buy an Alfa GTV, but, wife talked me
out of it.  Instead, we bought her a '74 Midget and me an MGB-GT.
Don't have that wife, anymore (just celebrated 24 years with a much
better one), but I still have the B-GT and a small herd of Midgets (6).
I have to say that, although I still have a Porsche 356B and a BMW 2002,
I still get the most overall enjoyment out of my old '72 Midget.  Sure,
the 356 is WAY faster and considerably more comfortable.....but, the 356
is somewhat expensive to run (as in: if you break anything, it's gonna
cost PLENTY to replace/repair and you're not likely to be able to fix it
alongside the road).  But, there's just something incredibly special
about that old Midget.  I've owned it for close to 25 years, now and I'd
jump in it today (weather permitting) and drive to anywhere in the
country without giving it a second thought.
Wife and I are planning a trip to Toronto area, in May (to watch
youngest son kick the football around, in an exhibition game).  Plan is
to travel all back roads, avoid "big-box" restaurants & lodging and
really relax.  Although the 356 is supreme, for this type of travel, I'm
torn between it and the Midget.
Of course, if I had my B-GT finished (it's deep in the restoration
process), there'd be NO contest......
Bud Osbourne