Re: First cars wishes (NO LBC)

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First cars wishes (NO LBC)
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:07:19 -0600
> Yup, got a buddy who used to PRO-Rally a GLH.  I thought that it was  fast
> until I watched him behind Buffum.. when I asked him what was  wrong he
> said, "Nothing, that was flat out.  It won't go any faster."

Speaking of Omni GLH, How bout the GLHS Shelby version!?! I remember it in
the mid-80's when Hot Rod Magazine decided it would be SO funny to do a
head-to-head comparison between the GLHS and a "real" Shelby Mustang from
the late-60's. I am proud of them in that, when the test did not show what
they expected, they published it anyway. Seems that, even thought the Stang
was improved a bit over original, and was faster than the Omni on the
straight, the Omni reeled it in and flew by it every corner and turned much
better lap times on an oval course.

Hmm, I had a 79 Plymouth Horizon that had been cobbled together out of two
or more copies by a mechanic friend of a friend. Tired VW drivetrain with
Holley carb. My wife was driving it when the shifter suddenly jumped and
there was no more go. Towed it home to find that the CV joint had come loose
from the transaxle and slammed into the shifter linkage. Pulled the
transaxle (wouldn't go into any gears) and found that one of the shifter
fork rods had bent and cracked the sockets it slid in. Knowing that the
trans was now totalled, but having no cash, I took a hammer, beat the rod
back fairly straight and tossed it back into the car, so that when it died
again I could just get a junkyard trans and not even be concerned. Still
running when it got towed to the junkyard about ten thousand miles later. I
decided it was dead when a front shocktower started to part company with the
rest of the car.

My 1987 Duster, however (Charger hatch with the Plymouth name glued on), was
the first new car I bought. 2.2 with 5-speed. I put 235,000 miles onto it in
8 years and retired it when the original clutch started to go. Other than
oil and gas, I hadn't put more than $400 into that car in parts and tires,
counting two exhaust systems. She was good to me.

David Lieb