Ignition switch problem

To: Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition switch problem
From: Robert <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:02:51 -0500
I tried to turn over the engine in my Midget for the first time in years
today and a strange thing  happened with the ignition switch.  I can
turn the key to the accessory position but past there it will only turn
about 1/16" - 1/8".

I can turn the engine over by jumping the solenoid wires, and it turns
over if I put the key to the accessory position and jump the 2nd & 3rd
wires on the ignition switch, so everything seems to be o.k.
electrically which is a relief.

I don't remember ever having a problem with the ignition switch before
but I also can't remember how far the key should be turning past the
accessory position. I figure it has to be in the neighborhood of the
distance between the #2 and #3 wires coming off the ignition.

Short of me doing something dumb like using the wrong set of keys (there
is a very slim possibility), is there anything else that would cause the
ignition switch not to turn all the way?

Thanks,

Robert