Blind Distributor Installation Help

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Blind Distributor Installation Help
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:23:33 -0600
If there has been any rule of thumb in my slow restoration of my 74 1275
Midget it has been,  it only takes doing it wrong once to learn..

I have once again skidded off the learning curve in an attempt at refurbing
the ignition system.

I removed the original distributor to inspect the points, condenser, etc.
After inspection and some parting of some money I now am the owner of a new
Pertronix F.Thrower Dizzy.

But as you might have already guessed I made a yet larger rash move.
When taking off the original distributor I didnt make any note as to the
direction of the rotor/drive dog/etc. I just pulled it out. Pretty
seamlessly too I might mention. Wether or not I rotated the rotor any since
it has been off is questionable. Maybe a little in handling and storing soI
dont know.

So now I got this new guy and I have read all the disclaimers and warning
about putting it in improperly /misaligned. (Ruining the dizzy / screwing up
the engine.)
Retarding the timing is not an issue as of now. You cant get much more
retarded.

At this point what should I be looking for when I install this new guy,
outside of getting it well seated into position. I know I dont want it 180
degrees out  but have no idea how to judge such a thing. I would like to
find its way back into the correct position the first time.

The only rudimentary thing I can conceive is matching up the rotor position
on this new unit to that of the original and just hope that it has not been
tweeked too much since removal (yeah right).

I suppose I will find out rather quickly once I install it as to how much I
am off.

Any clues or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Miles Herndon
(not Dale)
inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com

something more.