Re: rear wheel clearance

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: rear wheel clearance
From: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:49:19 -0500
That Ebay '66 looks way high, much more than my '66.  I have 175R60-13
on fake minilights on our car, and as purchased, the tires rubbed the
inner fenders.  The lips had been rolled, and I rolled them some more.
I replaced the rear springs with new ones with the red poly bushings and
it stiffened it up laterally enough, and probably raised it a little,
too, to stop the rub.  Even with spirited highway and backroad driving.
A panhard rod will be next as soon as I figure out how best to make
one.  Available ones assume no exhaust system in the way; racing
applications only.

Your car is quarter elliptical springs, right?  Still may benefit from
stronger springs with stiffer bushings.

I would suspect that the added ride height of the ebay '66 upsets the
balance of the car, and I'll bet that lift was accomplished through
later model springs.