Re: Re: B17 rides, B24 sightings

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: B17 rides, B24 sightings
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:29:57 -0800
I was thrilled years ago to see a restored B-24 fly into Oakland on a tour
of the US.  It was signed on the fuselage by all the people that had helped
restore it.  There were several 'old guys' in bomber jackets there to meet
it, one or two in wheelchairs.  When it came into view and the first excited
shout went up, all heads turned and watched as the crew flew it wheels-up
right down the center of the runway and climbed out to begin the final
approach.  Tears in every eye, and a sound never to be forgotten.  I had
built a scale RC B24 and was there to get additional scale detail shots, but
like the 'old guys', I teared up also.  It was an unforgettable moment.
Recently another B24 came to California on tour (Witchcraft).  I didn't
spring for a ride ($$$$$$), but I took a thousand pics and went over every
inch of the plane.  Sadly, its a J style like the previous one and I guess
there isn't a glass-nosed "D" left in flyable shape anymore.  There is
normal nosed one in a firefighting fleet in Utah, I heard, but the nose is
skinned over in aluminum and it has the Navy style single verticle fin and
round nacellels.

Glen