Fuel System Troubles/ Progress?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel System Troubles/ Progress?
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:52:30 -0500
Guys:

     Again many thanks for the comments and advice. It`s too early to claim
victory and shut the bonnet, but here`s what I discovered so far and it must
have helped :

        Float settings on the HS-2s (AUD 136) were mysteriously set too wide
at 5/16"+. That, alone, I think was causing an abnormally lean mixture.
Looking down the jet holes, the fuel level was more than 1/8" from the top,
even further in the R carb, which was running severely lean and not responding
to adjustment, while the F carb flooded on over choking.

      For starts I replaced the Grose Jets and , considering your  advice, I
reset float levels at 5/32", about half-way between book specs of 1/8"-3/16".

    While at that, I checked the mixture adjustment settings, turning the nuts
up to get the jets level with the carb bridge, then down the usual two turns.

     Then I noticed what I had been overlooking all week: Looking in the carb,
the F Jet had retreated about 1/8" or so, but the R jet had barely moved.  It
had been relatively higher all along, and turning the nut down as far as it
would go barely moved it. Also, the fuel level visible in the R jet was still
lower than the F.

    After playing with the nut and moving the jet by hand to no avail, it
dawned on me to loosen the front linkage clamps. At first nothing happened;
then the lever on the R carb snapped sharply down. Something also happened at
the F but not so drastic.

   I readjusted both carbs. This time both jets could be brought up higher
than the carb bridge where that was not possible before when they barely came
level, and when I reset the initial two turns, now both jets moved down about
the same distance. Fuel level in both are now about the same, just at the
top.

    I can`t start the car in the garage without gassing myself and the garage
cat (who was no help at all), so I`ll have to wait till the weather clears.
However, the condition I just mentioned at least had to be contributing to the
really BAD running.

      How and when the linkage slipped or became stuck beats me. That`s
another mystery to go with who done the wrong float setting. Car was running
ok all last season.

     Still not much fuel pump tick, though. I expect I`m dealing with two
problems only related by coincidence to make me crazier than I already am.
Decided to replace the pump, see what happens with that.

     Anyway...That`s my story. I got a feeling Happy Hour`s coming especially
early here today,

Bert Shirey
66 Midget 1098/60 Bugeye

    .