Re: Re: no more (lumber)

To: "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Re: no more (lumber)
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:46:59 -0600
Interesting!! A couple of years ago on my way to Alaska I spent a
little time in the Prince George BC area. Major industry there "used
to be" lumber. Now it is mostly unemployment compensation. I got to
talking a little with some Canucks about what happened to their lumber
industry and very nearly got tarred and feathered and run out of town
on a rail!!  Seems the embargoes and tariffs put on good Canadian pine
(and I saw plenty of really great looking pine in their yards!) by the
US market (driven by lobbyists for the American lumber industry who
are producing crap) have gutted the local economy of a large part of
British Columbia and Alberta. The sawmills are mostly closed and towns
like Prince George are suffer ring big time! No surprise, they blame
their neighbors to the south...

Cheers!!
Jim - The guy who can always muster a little wood when necessary...   ;-)