Re: Life is good, and Wisconsin Saab story - no LBC

To: "Peter Shull" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Life is good, and Wisconsin Saab story - no LBC
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:34:56 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Shull" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>
To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>; "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Cc: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>; "Midget Sprite Group"
<midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:04 PM
Subject: Life is good, and Wisconsin Saab story - no LBC

The GF just stopped by on her way home from work and dropped off a bottle of
The Glenlivet 18 year old. It's Valentine's day, doncha know.

Earlier in the evening, I read something in the latest issue of Road and
Track
that caught my eye. Seems as though a gentleman from Wisconsin recently
retired his Saab 900 after 17 years of service, during which the car
traveled
1,001,385 miles ... and survived 8 deer collisions. Eight. That, to me,
seems
like a lot miles and a lot of deer.

=======================================

The guy's name is Peter Gilbert, a Brit now living in WI.  Ron Soave, Peter
C. and I met him at Elkhart Lake last summer.  He was there with the car
right after it turned over the million mile mark.  We were there while Ron
was racing his Bugeye at a vintage race and Gilbert stopped by to see
Peter's Mini and my Austin A 60 Ute.  We took the Ute for a ride around the
track area and I got to see his Saab.  Pretty cool that he put a million
miles on the thing.  Heck, I've only had one car that I put over 100,000
miles on.

He donated the car to the Wisconsin Auto Museum and Saab then gave him a
brand new Saab.  Decent of them, but it took a little publicity for them to
come across with the new car -- a good return for all the positive PR he
gave them.

LAD

P.S. Ron, Peter, WST and the rest of the WI and northern IL guys, that
museum might be a good destination for a run this summer.