Re: Bug-eye engine removal

To: James Pickard <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Bug-eye engine removal
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:32:04 -0500
James Pickard wrote:

> Time to get serious about putting the Datsun 5-speed into the bug-eye.  I
> assume I need to remove the bonnet and radiator.  Any other tips?

Radiator, yes, bonnet, no.
Removing the bonnet on a Bugeye is a real PITA.
If you have a floor jack, raise the bonnet, remove the radiator, remove
the oil filter from the block and the dizzy from the block.
You have to take the carbs off eitherway but unbolt them from the engine
and leave them along with all their cables connected and just set them
on the inner fender. Makes for a much easier replacement.
Drain the tranny, undo the speedo cable, remove the ground strap.
Remove the exhaust strap if it's still there, make sure you remove the
ground strap, undo the motor mount bolts, unplug the wires from the
genny and dizzy, double check that you undid the ground strap.
Undo the slave cyl since you won't use it with the 5 speed.
Jack up the engine with a floor jack, slide it over the steering rack.
Have someone balance it on the rack, move the jack out front and catch
the engine on the jack. Roll it where ever you want while on the jack.
You can install the 5 speed with the bonnet on. I just did it.
Stick the 5 speed in the hole, use the jack to make the dimple in the
heater box. Just jack up the tranny and it will make it's own dimple.
Now slide the engine back in the same way with the jack. The last 1/2
inch is a bit close but it works.
Keep the tranny unbolted so you can play with it a bit while the engine
goes in. A support to hold up the front of the tranny is needed too.
(block of wood or short jack stand)
One note is to stick the top bolts in the bellhousing BEFORE the engine
goes in, not enough room to get to them once the engine/trans are in
place. Yes bolting the engine/trans together is a slight pain but not
nearly as much as trying to bolt on a bonnet.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ