RE: 1275 Distributor driveshaft installation

To: "John Roberts" <robe3099@bellsouth.net>, "Spridgets"
Subject: RE: 1275 Distributor driveshaft installation
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:38:12 -0500
I always wondered why it mattered what the "correct" installed position
of the dizzy driveshaft was.  It seemed to me that any old position was
fine as long as the rotor pointed to the No. 1 cable when No. 1 piston
is at TDC on the compression stroke.  It occurred to me that the
"correct" position may be due to the use of side-exit dizzy caps on
1275's where the plug cables needed to be neatly arranged.  Anyway, on
my big Healey, the driveshaft is rotated 4 teeth off the manual's
"correct" position and I use a top-exit dizzy cap to keep the cables
neat.  This is because I needed to rotate the vacuum advance out of the
way of my non-stock oil filter setup.  Works like a charm for me.
Anyway, John, there are no guide markings except the TDC notch on the
crank damper.  I think the "correct" installation of the 1275 driveshaft
is the Twenty-to-Two position with the smaller section of the face above
the slot.  Just make sure the crank is at TDC with No.1 piston on the
compression stroke.
Jack